C’est MOI.

I’ve been doing the “One Word” thing on NYE for a number of years now and I certainly like it better than making a lot of arbitrary resolutions!  I will say that I’ve found setting some goals and making a plan to achieve them is also really useful this time of year. I don’t know if it’s so much about doing it perfectly, or even achieving those goals, so long as you set yourself a benchmark to strive for, in whatever way “striving” looks for you.

Most goals being a point located somewhere in the future – if you get halfway there and realize you don’t want to go further or your priorities have changed, well, you can always renegotiate, right?

My word in 2017 is simple. “ME.”

This year I am putting my own needs, health, and well-being first. That isn’t always going to be fun – part of putting my health and well-being first means getting my ass off the couch and going for a walk every day, it means finally seeing a dentist, going to a doctor, dealing with meds that are long overdue for a change, calling an accountant and getting my finances – oh scary finances – sorted out… it actually means saving more money and spending less money on things I want. Because ME needs things like money in the bank and a retirement fund.

This ME stuff won’t necessarily always be fun, it means doing stuff that might be expensive and leave me less money for pleasure, it means committing to stuff that is going to take some work/time/energy.

Putting ME first means not always indulging my wants or going for the immediate gratification but asking if what I want is going to serve my goals and well-being in the long run. It means sometimes putting my goals and well being ahead of a temporary pleasure.

Putting ME first also means yes, sometimes I will go for the cake, or the short term pleasure, or the thing I want. Because it pleases me to do so. But I will hopefully do it much more thoughtfully.

Most importantly, this year, I’m getting quiet so I can hear my inner voice, and I’m not doing or agreeing to things that put me into conflict with myself. Even if that creates conflict with other people. There will be no more swallowing my voice, my thoughts, my sense of what is right, just so that other people can be undisturbed.

While “kindness” and “tact” are something I hope to always bring to the table in my dealings with other human beings, “silence at my own expense” no longer will be.

I plan to excavate a lot of territory, to find me again.

This year is about filling my own cup, putting on my own oxygen mask before anyone else’s, and putting ME at the forefront of every choice I make. My voice. My well-being. My creative process. My soul. My health.

I plan to be utterly selfish in all the ways I can be.

What’s your word for 2017?

This entry was posted in Personal, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to C’est MOI.

1. TheLabRat says:

I hope it’s okay to reuse a One Word resolution, because I need to: Hope. The light against the darkness, the last drop of gas in the emotional tank, the force that gets me up in the morning. The magic staff that will help win against the black dragon Despair.

I totally think it’s okay to use whatever you need to use. “ME” may be my word for the next decade and that’s cool.

2. sharon says:

Future you will be very happy about this 🙂

3. Ruchika Sachdeva says:

Hello Rain
    Your post resonated with me in so many ways. I’m putting me first too now.
    I realised that being a Low priority for myself was not serving me well. People that are dear to me forget me and neglect me just like I do to me.
    I want to add to your list of things for me– Love! Or Self love!
    That’s what I’m doing and therefore getting everything else such as doctor visits, more sleep, exercise etc done because… self love!😜

Good luck self loving mama! 💖💖

4. Natalie says:

…that is exactly the stuff I’m hoping to work on this year, too. Last year was such a wreck in so many ways that I need to recalibrate.

5. Lynda the Guppy says:

Mine is MOVE. Move my body to start to lose weight. Move my mind to pay more attention to what’s important, and to resist becoming too negative. Move my job in order to get the word out there so I can get more clients and more work (and let’s face it. More money). Just…

MOVE.

Stop standing still, literally and figuratively. Move on and get rid of most of my mom’s things. I’m talking her clothes and her quilting books and all those articles and patterns she had torn out of magazines. Move on and get my finances in order, get my taxes done timely, get my attorney working on some things I need.

MOVE MOVE MOVE

For the first time in a very long time I’ve had to be really conscious of my money. I HATE it. LOL So I’m also trying to be more careful about what I spend when. Yeah, the instant gratification is nice, but maybe instead of buying X on a whim, I’d rather have Y that I’ve been lusting after for a while when it finally comes within my reach.

Adulating sometimes sucks. But I’m gonna do it anyway!