We’re back! For a minute. And then we’re moving…

Back from vacation, the Etsy shop is open for business, and we are home in the foothills of Los Angeles for about a minute before we pack up the Casas Fabulous and Sexypants and head off on a new life adventure.

We are moving from LA County, population: 9,862,049 to Tuolumne County, population: 55,365.

The town we are hoping to move to is in the High Sierras and has approximately 155 residents, according to the last census.

It is very exciting. And a big change! I mean, we’re used to a lot of takeout, Whole Foods down the road, a Blick art supply within easy access, ALL THE SUSHI, gluten free pizza and deluxe cat hotels.

None of that is really going to be happening where we are going.

1012679_10151788361985695_372601151_n

Brown bear and Plaid bear may look delightfully rustic, but, they like their Starbucks.

There is no takeout anywhere, there are no deluxe cat hotels, no Whole Foods, no gluten free pizza, no sushi, and no Thai delivery. No curry takeaway. No cell coverage. No Arclight first run movies full of stars (there are probably still fantastic stars out at night. We’ll just be getting the kind that burn bright in the sky.)

Future blog fodder includes:
Cohabitation after years of living as a single parent.
Kids moving out.
Life without kids.
Whether or not the toilet seat goes up or down. (It goes down).
Wildlife!
Learning to put on tire chains.
Learning about snow tires.
Taking the trash to to the dumpster and not leaving it by your house because of bears (not the cute fuzzy Starbucks sipping kind made from recycled sweaters).
You will also be treated to shenanigans!
We’ll be living with snow after 18 years in LA. It occurs to me that I will need a parka, that my winters of “Ho hum it’s a bit chilly, maybe I’ll put on a hoodie.” are over. I am going to need to buy a sweater or six. Hijinks will most likely ensue!

Kitties will be coming with us.

The Captain is allergic to kitties.

In addition to sweaters, it looks like we will be getting air filters for the cabin. Our air may be rustic, but it will be HEPA filtered, by gum.

The Captain is planning on building the kitties a charmingly rustic but sturdy, well protected, roofed and weatherproofed catio so that they can go outside and enjoy the local flora and fauna without becoming tiny Hostess catcakes. And so that the fresh mountain breezes might waft away some of their dander.

Honey&Ollie will continue to bring you gorgeous and original jewelry designs, accessories and original art just like we’ve always done, never fear. There’s satellite internet in them thar hills, thank god, and a local post office too! It’s just that we’re going to be bringing you all that with more bears. Less city.

Sometimes life needs a little shaking up, so you throw your life in the blender and press “frappe” and hope that what you get is a deliciously unexpected melange of fruity good things. Not, you know, spirulina green drink with nasty wheatgrass.

This would be one of those times. So far it’s all been delightfully serendipitous. I am hoping for delicious.

I can’t wait.

19 Responses to We’re back! For a minute. And then we’re moving…

1. Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing you at Faerieworlds!

2. The Lab Rat says:

Oh, the bears don’t know what’s comin’! I’m sure you’ll amuse them for a while before they move on to easier pickings elsewhere. And satellite internet is hecka cool! (Better than wireless hot-spot, I’m sure!) I think this relocation will be nothing but an idea-mill for you, bringing all sorts of fresh ideas to your jewelry bench. Can’t wait to see what rolls out!

The Cap’n and I are looking forward to getting to hang out again really soon. We so enjoyed chilling with the moms and you the other day!

3. I am so very happy for you – it sounds like just the sort of thing I’d pick for myself… if I could pick. ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope you’ve had a wonderful recharge time and tons of good vibes for you with your move!

4. I am so very happy for you โ€“ it sounds like just the sort of thing Iโ€™d pick for myselfโ€ฆ if I could pick. I hope youโ€™ve had a wonderful recharge time and tons of good vibes for you with your move!

Thank you! Yes, I am really excited. I am sure there will be challenges, but, I am yearning for some quiet.

5. Oh wow! What a change!!! Holy cats, woman!! Well, I look forward to your stories, as you adjust. Love you!

6. Cindy Barker says:

Just think of all the amazing Fiber inspirations you will have in the winter!

7. thatkellygirl says:

I am so excited for you…but curious…you know how we are…also…take me with you?

I believe this is what is known in some circles as “pulling a geographical” but with far less angst, no drinking, and more bears. Really, I just need to get out of LA. I love this city so much, but it is time to move on. I am restless and in need of an adventure.

• thatkellygirl says:

Oops, I just saw this! I’m excited for you…so much. I’m in the mood to pull a geographical, myself. Time to mix shit up, as it were. ๐Ÿ™‚ I can’t wait to see pictures of your new life…so, so adventuresome!

I am so excited for you. I do agree, we need to shake it up sometimes. How wonderful for shaking it up.

9. msable says:

WOW that is a really drastic life change. I really hope the move involves everything you are hoping for and maybe some more. It sounds like a wonderful event! Also, I hope there will be pictures (and maybe instructions) on how to build a super awesome Catio? Because I would like to have that for my kitties! Good luck!

When we build a Catio, it will be at least a one blog post. Possibly two. With tutorial and pictures included, for sure! =^.^=

10. Dot says:

Happy New Home, Rain! I know it will be an exciting, soul-renewing change. I’m wearing, and loving, my lemon-quartz pendant. Be sure to let me know of any special events where you display your amazing work, so I can alert people on the site!