Goodbye sugar…

March 4th 2013

A day that will probably not go down in infamy, but one that will assuredly be difficult.

Good bye, sugar. Goodbye, delicious things made with sugar. Goodbye Starbucks drinks, brown sugar in my coffee, delicious cookies from Parchment, chocolate bars, hot cocoa, goodbye to all the sweet treats I love and don’t even give a second thought to eating.

Hello complicated baking. Hello, honey. Hi maple syrup. Hey there, whole grains, whole foods, and a new juicer.

Today is the day I give up all refined sugars for 30 days (to start, before I begin giving up all the other things that are probably bad for me). Today is the day that I take my doctor’s advice and begin doing all the lifestyle things that I need to do, in order to help get my most-likely-fibro-but-we-aren’t-positive-and-I-am-uninsured flares and pain managed.

Contemplating “paleo.”

Taking walks.

Yoga.

Everything hurts, I’m tired all the time and I have no endurance. Screw that. The road to feeling better starts today.

This isn’t about losing pounds, though if I’m honest, I’ll say it’ll be a nice side effect if it happens. THis is about getting stronger, feeling better, and having the energy to live the life I would rather be living.

This is about looking and feeling 43, not 53.

Gluten, you’re probably next.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Goodbye sugar…

1. The Lab Rat says:

Hugs and kudos, Rain! I send the very best of hope and wishes that you succeed in the sweet-tooth switch. (Personally I am addicted to maple syrup and maple sugar, so I can’t have any in the house…or it doesn’t last long) also check out Agave syrup – I used it while I was in SC, and it worked very well – it’s twice as sweet-tasting as granulated sugar, so you use half-as-much in coffee or tea. Stevia doesn’t agree with me, and I’ve heard several different people complaining that it gives them headaches. I hope you feel better soon!

Agave, while low on the glycemic index, is super bad for you and just as processed as HFCS, alas. This was news to me, but the more research I do, the more I am convinced I wish to stay away from it. I’m sticking to honey and maple syrup for now, I think, for sweetening things. Fortunately I love both.

You are a brave girl. Good luck!

3. Tammy says:

You can do it Rainy! One step at a time. We haven’t given up the sugars, though we don’t use white sugar much anymore. We have given up the gluten and some dairy, though not all the grains yet. It’s not easy, but it’s worth it to feel better. I still have miserable days, or I eat eggs and can’t leave the house for 24 hours. It gets easier as you get used to it. Whole, real foods are a good thing.

4. Amanda says:

Good luck!

We’re trying a gluten minimal diet right now and I’ve got to say that I do feel a lot better. Sugar is next on my list.

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

Oh and you’re a knitter too! 😀 Gluten is probably on the list of stuff I’m going to try to cut out as I get deeper into a non-inflammatory lifestyle (oh fibromyalgia, I wish I could quit you) and I’m dreading it. How is it going for you? Any good substitutes or tips to share?

5. I don’t think I can actually give up sugar, but I’m definitely trying to cut down. This months focus – cutting down on pop.

Soda is a hard one for most folks. I don’t drink it very much at all but every once in a while I crave one. I’ve been sticking to those sweetened with natural cane sugar like Mexican coke and fruit pops, but… that’s out now too! I’m thinking about getting one of those “turns water and fruit juice into soda” canisters for the occasonal treat. Good luck to you!

6. Jo says:

Hi, i’ve been desperately googling “giving up sugar” and hungrily reading all the blogs and articles. I’m on week 3, the first week I still had honey in my green tea (also gave up coffee), the end of the second week I dropped the honey. I’ve had a couple of slip ups but sugar was a daily, almost hourly companion before so a slip up or 2 over 3 weeks is allowed in my book. Keep it up 🙂

I’m really only trying to cut out refined sugars. Natural sweeteners like honey are ok for me. But I realized that I was starting my day with 3 heaping spoons in my coffee, a few more in the ongoing mugs of tea, hot chocolate and chai that I drink all day, then yet more in the form of cookies and other snacks. Really ridiculous amounts on a daily basis – like you said, that hourly fix and I wasn’t even thinking about it. It’s been eye opening in just one day. Good luck to you! I’m blogging this more in depth at ciaosugar.wordpress.com so as not to spam up my jewelry blog. Feel free to follow along! 😀

7. Eline C says:

Rainy, in 30 days you will laugh and be happy that you went through all the trouble! Especially for my husband the first 3 days were soo hard (we did the 21 sugar detox from Tim’s site http://timreviews.com/21daysugardetox), but once through it became much easier. I think the biggest changes are actually in the quality of sleep – easing to sleep easier and waking in the morning fresh and regenerated.
    Stay strong dear,
    Eline

8. Julie Miller says:

Keep up the good work! I’m working up to that brave step. This was the year for me to kick the caffiene Diet Coke habit and I’m doing well. Next year is the big step of going raw food/vegan. I’m going to try it for a year just to prove I can quit cheese if only for awhile.

Everyone says that sodas are SO hard to give up! I don’t tend to drink them as a rule, so they haven’t been tough for me to walk past, but another friend of mine just gave it up and she really struggled. I don’t even want to think about quitting cheese…