rethinking work…

I got a really shirty comment on the blog over the weekend. Someone remarking on “unjobbing” who called me lazy and irresponsible, who hoped something horrible would happen to me so that I wouldn’t be so happy and cheerful anymore but rather, productive like a decent member of society blah blah blah blah… ?????

It made me laugh. It was one of those, “Wow I’ve really arrived, I got trolled, I must be a real blogger now!” moments. Very validating.

It also made me laugh because when the comment came through on my blog, I was sitting behind a table filled with a year’s work. I’d gotten up at 5 that morning, put dinner for the family into the crock pot, taken care of pets, washed dishes, started a load of laundry, made breakfast, packed my car, driven 45 minutes away to this show. When the comment hit my inbox, I was well on the way to making a fairly decent income for the weekend.

I’m still trying to figure out the part where I don’t work.

It made me a little bit sad, though. Sad that our culture has created such a narrow view of what valuable, legitimate work is. Sad that there is this perception that if you are not working for someone else in a legitimate “job” that you are somehow not living your life appropriately.

This country did not get to be great because of people working for big corporations. This country got to be great in part because anyone could decide, “I want to do X, Y and Z, get educated, start a business, work damn hard for myself, and get ahead.” and people did that. This country was built on Mom&Pop shops, not Proctor&Gamble.

Here’s the thing. I choose that. The alternative simply doesn’t suit me. I prefer the 15 hour studio workdays and shlepping to shows in the rain. It’s crazy, I know. It just suits me a lot better.

I believe that the word you were looking for was entrepreneur, dear troll.

I believe that hard work and moxie will be rewarded.

I believe that if this country is to return to being great, some of us must walk away from the corporate job culture and create something else along side it.

I work hard. I have moxie. And I choose to walk away.

It’s a long and very proud tradition.

Though… I will cop to being lazy sometimes. I totally order curry takeaway when I don’t feel like cooking and that happens more often than it should. I don’t remember the last time I washed the living room baseboards. Also? I often drive to Trader Joe’s instead of riding my bike. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Comments on the blog are now moderated and must be approved before they will post. Also, if you’re a nasty troll, it probably won’t get approved or posted. So don’t waste your breath.

19 Responses to rethinking work…

1. foxandpen says:

So charming. *sigh*

Good for you for taking it firmly in stride. πŸ™‚

2. Tina Tierson says:

I can’t believe someone would actually write you that! Sheesh, what a jerk! I read so many lovely blogs by lovely people that I forget not everyone is looking to be inspired. It is sad, though, that someone is so unhappy they actually took the time to write something nasty! I love what you do and wish I had your courage. Keep up the good work!!

You go girl! So proud of you and all you do.

4. Lynda the Guppy says:

Some days people just suck.

Glad you shrugged it off. I know how hard it is to create something, and how terrifying it is to try and pull it out of your own imagination into reality. That’s harder work than going to a 9-5 corporate job.

Much, MUCH harder.

5. Phoe says:

I love what you have done. I love that you unjob, I love what you create, I love your cat interludes. I love that you are brave and open and fearless. And I love that you are succeeding. So.

6. R. Gray says:

Not only an entrepreneur but a job creator. I saw that waif you employed this weekend. 8-o

that’s RIGHT! I am a job creator! They were just saying on NPR that small business create jobs. Heh. *proud*

• TheLabRat says:

And well you should be, Rainy! You found out that the ‘working for corporate 9-5 job’ didn’t work, you found that you really do enjoy creating with beautiful materials something absolutely wonderful, you found that you COULD create, and others would WANT what you created, and you’re ‘progressing a-pace’ with your dream. don’t let the trolls ruin that for you. Think of it, rather, as the incredibly sad cry of a depressed, lost soul who doesn’t know how to save himself, except to maybe feel better in his misery by attacking someone who’s actually happy doing what you’re doing. And kudos on changing your blog to moderate posters. Sad Troll needs to go someplace else to be Sad.

7. Lori Moon Studio says:

You are such a beautiful soul for the way you’ve handled this. Your work is beautiful and it is obvious that so much of you goes into to your creations. Hugs to you!

8. Kathleen says:

It is hard to understand what makes people do the things they do, but obviously that was not a happy person. It takes courage to follow our dreams, especially when they are not “traditional”!

9. I can’t help but wanna know how to find the troll and really I’ll let it go πŸ™‚
    You are such an exciting, dynamic force in this ‘verse and clearly the negative responder is jelli.
    Stay the course!

10. Bjo Trimble says:

Bravo! I’ve spent a good deal of my 78 years being thought of as “someone without a job” because I tried the 9-to-5 gigs and they just do not work for me (or my long-suffering bosses). My first paying freelance art job was at age 9, and I’ve freelanced all my life. I, too, have run into those who with the Puritan mentality that if one does not plow the fields and build the bridges, then one is worthless to society. Ignore that artists create beauty. Ignore that artists give of themselves, not just office paperwork. It is a sad way to live. — Bjo

11. It is sad that people need to put others down to feel powerful. Bullies. You’re handling it beautifully. I’ve ended up freelancing full time this year and love it, in all its crazy schedule, switching hats, crockpot dinners glory! And my business is taking off. If I get more than 2 more clients, I will have to HIRE someone to help me. That is astounding.

On another topic, your work gets more and more lovely! Sending my husband gently over to your Etsy store before Christmas…

12. Susan says:

It’s too bad that when people are unhappy with their own life choices they feel they have to take it out on someone else. I get that funny attitude quite a bit from those who just don’t get it. Love the way you wrote about the subject. Here’s to living a creative, fulfilled life!
    Susan

13. spaark says:

You are obviously a much kinder person than me. I definitely would not have handled that as well as you! Still hopping around and trying to visit everyones blog. Its been great connecting after that whirlwind KRR course. I have put all links on my desktop so I have easy access to you girls. I will drop by again! Julie
    Off to check out your etsy store!

14. Lauren says:

It cracks me up that they wrote, “don’t be happy, get a job!” (In so many words…) Hate to sound like a pointer outer of contradictions, but…er…*lol* Anyway, whoever wrote that was and is more than likely jealous. One of those three-eyed horse flies that hop in the salad every now and then. Who of which can kiss my unjobbing ascot…
    πŸ˜‰

15. George Ingraham says:

Sounds like somebody who…on their best day…couldn’t succeed at the job you have created for yourself. Somebody who is exploited by their employer, dissed by their supervisor and who, tragically, is afraid to quit their dead end job and is terrified of being fired. What could be uglier than jealousy?

Thanks, Dad. ❀ Envy is pretty ugly, that's true. You know, and it's not that I don't think there's value in having a job, I've had lots of jobs and might have jobs again when the need presents itself. It's just that it would be nice if we weren't all stuck in thinking that we HAD to go a certain, prescribed route, in order to be living a good life, in order to feel like our lives have value and meaning.

16. Patsy Hannah says:

I’m so glad I came across your post today about the mean things some very unhappy people always seem to HAVE to say. You sound like an amazing young woman, and I would have been thrilled to have had a mama like you and to have been homeschooled by such an inventive, creative, free loving spirit – and your response was just about as right on as anything I have ever read. Namaste. Patsy Hannah