Bravery, documented.

This week was about overcoming fear.

Still life with Headpins 2.0

I was really terrified of my microtorch, but without it there were things I wanted to make that were beyond my ability.

Like, tiny delicate headpins. Or heat patinas.

Finally I screwed my courage to the sticking place (what does that even mean anyway, where is that from?) and got out the torch, picked up some wire, set up a spot out on the patio and gave it a go.

Surprisingly, exhilaratingly, it was okay. And now, I can make headpins.

Rings

I feel very brave.

This entry was posted in gratitude. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Bravery, documented.

1. Sean says:

It’s a shakespeare-ian and music reference: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/81500.html

2. mouse says:

Wow… the earring in the photo is GORGEOUS- I love all of the wire wrap. I wanted to get into doing glass blowing but found out that anything requiring a torch also requires an ass-ton of insurance & a separate out building to do it in. Not that I really need another hobby…

Thank you! Yes, I’ve heard that glass work is crazy logistically difficult. I have friends who do lampworking and they rent studio time Elsewhere. Fortunately for me, a microtorch works on the stovetop or outside, as long as you ventilate well and use a heatproof surface.

3. mouse says:

oh yeah.. I really LOVE your new layout for the blog– its very professional & clean while still being creative & ‘artsy” looking.. great job!

Thank you! I’m pleased with it so far. I have vague dreams about hiring someone to do a whole website but, that may be a year or two down the road.

4. dlhinman says:

From “MacBeth.” Means Don’t be a sissy. Rainy, your art is bitchen. But, tragically, it all clashes with everything I wear, i.e., jeans and tee-shirts.

Good job! Overcoming fears is a very good thing. Sometimes if I haven’t done something for a long time I still find that fear sneak up on me. We must push through or over it and always grow and conquer! Hooray for you!