because it was amusing on Facebook…

It has been pointed out to me that…

My creation

…the fact that I have 5 cats might be why I am spending Valentine’s Day with Mr. Gallon Of Chocolate Ice Cream this year. Honestly, I think that if it weren’t for the cats I’d probably lose my shit in despair over eventually dying alone surrounded by nothing but yarn and the tang of cat wee, and naturally this would happen in a Hallmark store and then I’d run down the street pelting people in the head with little pink foil wrapped DOVE chocolate hearts, babbling incoherently and shrieking at all the !@# couples walking hand in hand that I passed.

Naked….

So thank G-D for cats, right??? Standing between me and the psych ward on Valentines Day.

hey, y’all, it’s great if you’ve got it. If you’ve got that one special someone who you love more than anyone else. But to the rest of us? Those of us who are single and maybe lonely and wishing that we didn’t have to face all of life’s challenges completely alone without a partner to turn to for a restorative hug? You need to remember that to us, Valentine’s Day is the equivalent of a gallon of lemon juice poured into a sucking chest wound, then followed up with a light sprinkling of sea salt. I’m just saying. And all those Kay Jewelers and “OMG he went to Jared” commercials? They’re a little smug.

Whatevs… don’t mind me. I will be happily occupied with my well worn Titanic DVD, some red wine, my chocolate ice cream and a six pack of Xanax. Wake me up on the 15th.

10 Responses to because it was amusing on Facebook…

1. CambriaW says:

You’ve still got me πŸ™‚
    My husband doesn’t really believe in V-day, and I was single for more years than I care to discuss, so it’s no big thing over here. Sometimes I dream I can be the girl in one of those dumb jewelry store commercials…but alas, we’re broke lol.

I don’t care about hearts and flowers and getting stuff… I just hate the big glaring spotlight that gets shined onto one’s life at this time. ‘YOU ARE ALONE.” I know I’m alone. I hate that I’m alone. So the commercials and candy just make it harder.

The other 364 days of the year I can at least ignore my single status and pretend I’m fine with it, you know?

• sanil says:

I’d much rather spend Valentine’s with a bunch of cats than on a date, anyway. πŸ™‚

I’ve been married for 12 years but hubby and I don’t do V-day.. mostly because both of us hate the holiday and think its sort of tacky. I hate those tv commercials because I find most of them offensive… it makes women sound like money grubbers who are only interested in men who can buy us diamonds from places that begin with K. I love roses and candy but honestly, I like them a lot better on February 15th and at half price!!!

I love romantic gestures but I find them more special on other days as well. I just feel like Vday is very painful when you are single, mainly because we’re such a dyad-centric society, it’s hard not to absorb the message. I had an easier time not doing much for Vday when I was actually IN relationships. We exchanged a card and maybe acknowledged the day in some small way, and that was fine, so it was not a huge light shining on, “YOU ARE ALONE.” like it is now.

3. Knitnana says:

Have to admit, when I saw the “change your profile photo to one of you and your beloved for V-day” I almost tossed my cookies! (I have enough of a love-hate r’ship with Facebook as it is…)

Please. I do not need a man – but I do perhaps need a bicycle…just sayin’

And yes, sometimes it feels as if I’ll die alone with two cats. But I think, probably, that will be a good thing, ya know?

Years ago, a very young woman in my neighborhood died tragically, alone in her house, from an aneurysm. They found her beside her bed. Her cat? Was sitting watch on the bed above her…giving witness to the devotion he had for her.

I think I’d be happy with that sort of devotion.
    (((hugs)))

Now I think Valentines is more than romantic love. It is also love between friends. So I am sending you love today, may it warm your heart. Visit me at my blog and I will send you a cup of tea.

5. Linda says:

I can totally relate to how you feel about V-day! I am single, I don’t have cats but I love them! Your descriptive writing is exactly the way I feel. I so appreciate your expressing what I could not put into words. Thank you Rain!

6. Geogrrl says:

Sweetie, that can happen even when you’re married.

I often envy women who not only expect, but get, chocolates and flowers and cards on Valentine’s Day.

When Valentine’s season comes around, my DH starts ranting about how commercial it is, what a waste of money it is for cards and chocolates, and…, etc. etc.

He makes the same rant around Christmas.

He also thinks flowers are a huge waste of money because they die in a few days. Any flowers I’ve had during our time together I’ve bought for myself.

To give him credit, he doesn’t think the odd purchase of jewellery or books or yarn are a waste and will buy them for me, but not in connection with any holiday or event.