Really? You are kidding, right?

My house was burgled last night, while we were totally home. Thief came in the back door and stole a laptop out of one of my children’s rooms, while we were making dinner in the front.

I am torn between all manner of emotions. Anger – I’m f*cking furious that someone would enter my home and steal from us. This person went into my child’s bedroom that she had just exited not ten minutes previously. Fear – what if they come back? Relief – at least my child was not in the room. At least they didn’t steal anything else. At least the cats did not get out through the door that was left open. Anger again – if I’ve said it to the kids once, I’ve said it a thousand times, lock the back door!!!

My daughter is now dealing with the loss of her entire culinary school portfolio, all her music, all her pictures, everything. She no longer has a computer for school, and is starting a block of academics that require writing every night and logging in to do assignments on the school website. We can’t afford to buy her a new one and we don’t have renter’s insurance. To make matters worse? The kids went in and out that door a few times after the burglary before I realized it and told them NOT to touch anything, so the crime scene person could not get any prints this morning. There went our hope of catching the thief/retrieving the laptop.

This is one of those, “we were lucky, it could have been so much worse.” issues and I’m well aware of it. So much so that I feel a little guilty for feeling so angry. But, I’m still really mad!

14 Responses to Really? You are kidding, right?

1. Marie says:

Wow, I’m so sorry to hear you were burgled! Not just the loss of the laptop (which must be devastating to your daughter) but the feeling of having your home violated!
    Like you said, I guess it’s important to hold onto the feeling that it could have been much worse.

she is very upset, her entire culinary school portfolio is gone now. It will make getting her externship a lot harder. 😦

2. britt says:

Sure, you’re lucky, it could be worse, but DAMN it could be a lot better too. Don’t feel guilt for your anger (easier said than done, I know).

Good luck!

Shit.. I’m really sorry for you & your family. If there is some way that we could do a sale online or a Paypal donation thing- something to buy S a new laptop I’d be more than willing to donate anything from both of my shops to help raise money. Please keep us posted.. *hugs*

Thanks Mouse.

I decided that I am not going to help her get a new computer. Well, I’ll co-sign a loan at the Apple store and have offered to help her budget her paychecks for payments and line up the financing, but that’s all. I’m being Bitch Mom about her dealing with the full consequences of not following my house rule to keep that back outside door locked at all times. It’s been an ongoing issue, and now she can understand *why* it is a house rule. Unfortunately, the hard way. Yay life lessons? Except not.

But thanks for the offer, that’s very lovely of you. ❤

• Jamie says:

Sadly, I have to agree with you (Mom) on this one. At my house we also have a house rule about keeping doors locked. We have been robbed (while we were gone) and other friends had home-invasion-robberies. You are quite lucky. Being robbed in-person is way worse than losing stuff.

Also I have to add that possibility of robbery is among the reasons why I tend to stay current with my computer backups.

Good luck

4. Lynda the Guppy says:

OMG I’m so sorry! I had my house burgled, but thankfully I wasn’t home at the time.

5. CambriaW says:

well of all the ballsy things to pull! that just sucks! maybe there’s craigs list or something where someone doesn’t need their laptop anymore. this probably sounds dumb, but what about a bake sale for a “new laptop fund”?

6. melanie says:

How awful, all around – most of all, I think, is how vulnerable we all are, and rarely think about.

I’m so sorry, Rainy.

7. Knitnana says:

Of course you’re mad! You were violated. No one has the right to do what that person did. And I’m really sorry it’s happened.

I’m sending you good thoughts and hugs. I wish there were more I could do, but I so hear how upset you rightly are.
    (((hugs))0

8. Geogrrl says:

The anger is understandable, but I’m in the “so glad no on was hurt and that you have an ordinary burglar who wants to just steal stuff and leave” camp.

Link to “Last Saskatchewan Pirate” video on YouTube, performed by Captain Tractor, written by the Arrogant Worms. I’ve heard it many times, but it’s still hilarious.

Being a pirate in Saskatchewan is akin to being one in Minnesota or North Dakota, BTW.

9. Georgi says:

How scary to have someone invade your house while you were in it. I think that is the most frightening thing of all.

BTW, I agree with on the Life Lessons thing, sometimes our kids have to learn the hardway, even though it is usually harder on us than it is on them 🙂

10. Lucia says:

1) I’m so sorry you were burgled. What a creepy feeling.
    2) But glad you’re OK.
    3) I read somewhere that when fingerprint people visit a crime scene, even if it hasn’t been touched since the crime, only about 30 percent of the time do they get any readable prints at all, and in only about 10 percent of those cases (which, brilliant mathematician that you are, you realize is 3 percent overall) do they get a print from a perp.