Ok my dearies, as I cannot do this alone and things are always better shared (so said Spider Robinson anyway), I’ve decided to run a little blog contest. Well, not actually a contest. More like, an incentive program.
3/21 EDIT: WE HAVE 50 PARTICIPANTS! THE KNIT ALONG HAS CLOSED!
Welcome to the 2009 Basket O Shame Along.
Here’s how it works. Leave a comment. Be honest. Tell me (did I mention, BE HONEST!) what is in YOUR basket o shame, and make a blog post on your blog listing your basket o shame projects. And then start to finish them. For every Shameful Unfinished Object you finish, I will mail you a stitch marker. But not just any stitch marker. A fabulous handmade pearl and/or semiprecious stone and/or art glass stitchmarker. Trust me, they’re gorgeous. SO if you finish 5 projects, at the end of the year you will have accumulated 5 gorgeous little stitch markers. If you only finish 1, well, that’s one marker more than you had, right? For some reason, I’d deleted all the photos I had of the most recent batch, but I found a picture of them here.
So. YOUR job is to finish as many projects in your Basket O Shame as you feel like finishing. MY job is to send you one of these little beauties for every one you finish. Kind of a WINNING situation, non?
1. Be honest and complete in your accounting!
2. Only knitted items count for prizes. You can count all your UFOs in any craft, but I can only reward actual knitting, cos otherwise it’d be ridiculous probably.
3. This is not a “finish it all before you start something new.” thing. Start whatever you want. Don’t care. This is more like, “You will get a cookie if you finish those socks that have been languishing. Plus, you’ll totally have new socks!” or a sweater or a scarf or a hat or a shawl.
4. You must submit photographic evidence of finished objects!
5. Finished objects must be the whole project. So, you have to finish both socks in a pair, both mittens in a pair, etc. Which, hey, if you already have one sock finished, that’s like a total gimme, so what are you waiting for? Get finishing!
6. Finished means finished. No unwoven ends. No unseamed, er, seams.
7. The Basket O Shame Along will run from today until December 31 2009. As long as I have your picture of a finished project by 11:59 on Dec. 31st, you will be rewarded.
8. ONLY projects that are currently on needles/languishing as of today, March 14, 2009 and that are listed in your initial accounting are eligible. So be thorough. It’d suck if you missed some ginormous alpaca cabled thing done on 00 needles languishing at the bottom of your bins and then didn’t get a cookie for the heroic slog of finishing it!
9. Projects finished before today, March 14th 2009, do not count. Or rather, you can count them in your 2009 total, but I will not count them in your prize total.
10. Cut off is 50 participants. Not that I think I am going to get 50 knitters interested in this, but just in case one of those weird viral internet things occurs, I need to protect my retirement assets and postage adds up. So, spread the word if you like, the more the merrier and the more fun it is! I’ll let y’all know when I have to draw the line