A thought about equality

I am all for it.

Let’s be clear. If you vote yes on 8, if you vote to ban gay marriage, if you vote to define marriage as “between one man and one woman” then what you are saying is “You do not deserve to have equal rights and I see you as being somehow less than me.” to millions of people. I have a pretty live and let live philosophy, but if that’s how you feel, I can’t just politely agree to disagree with you. I need to say flat out that you are wrong and you need to be spanked with a Clue By Four until you figure out that human rights aren’t something you can pick and choose. Equality just is. There shouldn’t be a question mark.

I so appreciate Attorney General Brown clarifying the language on 8, so that everyone trying to equivocate on the issue, or convince themselves that they’re not really being bigoted asshats can understand that yes, actually they are.

Proposition 8

— Original ballot summary: “LIMIT ON MARRIAGE. INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT. Amends the California Constitution to provide that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.

— Amended ballot summary: “ELIMINATES RIGHT OF SAME-SEX COUPLES TO MARRY. INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT. Changes California Constitution to eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry. Provides that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.

So there you are. If you vote for it, you’re voting to eliminate the rights of other people. Sit with that for a minute. Let it roll around on your tongue. Feel the arrogance. Is the hatred and bigotry permeating, yet? Are you soaking in the reality of legislation that seeks to create a second, lesser class of Californian? Why on earth would you want to participate in that kind of hatred?

Equality. It shouldn’t be something that the voters can bestow or take away from someone else.

Since, regrettably, it still is, I would ask that you please support equality for all Californians this November.

This entry was posted in Family Life. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to A thought about equality

1. Christie says:

I’m all for it too. I think that folks need to realize that the choice for them is not the choice for everyone. And since when do we use the constitution to restrict people’s rights? I hope folks in California get with it and vote no.

And I just love Gavin Newsome! I love what he did in SF in 2004 and it makes me so happy when I see him around and about.

2. Georgi says:

I think that it had to be a small-minded person who went through the effort of putting Proposition 8 on the ballot. The scary thing is that that one-small minded person was able to find enough small-minded people to go along with him/her. I thought we were above that type of thing.

3. eightfoldrabbit says:

Christie – my daughter pointed that out today. Since when does the Constitution take *away* people’s rights? It is supposed to *guarantee* our rights.

Georgi – it really is disappointing and sad, isn’t it?

4. Lynda the Guppy says:

Right on!

5. Laura says:

One of my favorite quotes about marriage is from Family Guy. I know, I need to get out more, right? Anyway, Peter says something to the effect if gay couples want to get married and be miserable like the rest of us, let them. I laugh at it first because I’m miserable in my marriage. But second because a couple–no matter who makes up that couple–has all the rights, problems, joys and challenges that people face. Like you pointed out, they are not “less than”. Too bad I’m not in Cali, because I love voting!

6. BellaKarma says:

Let California Ring!

7. waitandsee says:

So well said. How do we get this published everywhere? RI needs to get with the idea it’s neighbor MA has, that any loving consensual couple should be allowed to have the same legal rights. Meanwhile, I guess I just have to continue to show my child the many wonderful different definitions there are for “family”, and try not to perpetuate the bigotry.

8. Stephanie says:

I know a number of gay couples who are getting married, and some who aren’t interested in doing so. What do you know? Just like the rest of us (straight) folks!

Marriage ought to be a basic, fundamental right. Thank you for bringing attention to the ballot measure–though it sickens me that we even have to have one.

I think the LetCaliforniaRing.com commercial is so powerful–I get tears in my eyes every time I see it.

9. discotrash says:

wordpress autolinked a post i just about this subject to your blog and i have to say we have exactly the same opinion on this matter. thank you for sharing