Some things are easy.

Everything that's wrong with our country Wrong, close up

Every once in a while, a whopping two ton load of Irony pulls in front of me, doing about 30, on Foothill Blvd. This kind of sensitive campaigning in the face of global warming, fuel costs skyrocketing, people losing their homes and livelihoods, well it really warms the cockles of my heart. It makes me feel like McCain and Palin really understand my needs and have my interests at heart and yes, I should vote for them!

Except, so not.

I’m not usually political on this blog. Usually. I don’t think it’s any secret that I lean somewhat to the left of center but I usually don’t bring politics up here. Sometimes I break my own rules. This would be one of those times.

Someone said something to me the other day in school, as we were talking in my World Civ class. I compared ancient Rome to America, and she said, “Well I can tell YOU are a Democrat.” as if that was a bad thing. And someone else said, “Well I am not. I love America!”

I had to stop and blink at this guy, and shut my jaw from where it hit the floor. Because I was previously unaware that my Democratic party affiliation and my love for my country were mutually exclusive. In the last few years, “liberal” has become a nasty word. Profess one liberal thought, and you are an enemy of the state. When did that happen?

There’s this huge divide in our country. We are so far apart. That scares me. Listening to the RNC, I got scared, because that is not a party line that is inclusive to me or mine. It does not welcome me. It does not want me. But see, I live here too. I want my daughters to have reproductive rights and I want my friends to have the legal right to marry. I want wages that people can live on and healthcare for everyone that isn’t $1300 a month for a family of 4. I want a President who is committed to giving me these things, to defending these things, who is wholeheartedly committed to making it better.

8 weeks, folks. Are you registered? Can we make it a record turnout at the polls this year?

Can we make it better? Is there anyone out there who is trying to bring us together?

Obama

Yes, there is. And yes, we can.

Back to your regularly scheduled knitting tomorrow.

This entry was posted in Family Life and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Some things are easy.

*seethe seethe seethe* OMG. I think I’ve spent every day since the RNC in a cross between being so angry I can’t see straight and so depressed that I want to crawl under the bed for a while. Add to that the fact that everyone around me is voting for those two *cough* — and I’m ready to move to Canada. Except that I actually don’t WANT to HAVE to move. I don’t understand when exactly having rational thoughts and wanting people to not be suffering became unpatriotic- but its a scary scary thing that the word that made this country what it is (democracy) is considered a foul word.

Say it like it is! I have hope that Americans will see the scariest political McCain/Palin pair and vote for Obama/Biden. It is time for a fresh breathe of air in DC. Our girls should have a choice, we should have health insurance for everyone at a reasonable price, and all couples should have rights. The US must be out of Iraq. And a reasonable mind must be leading our country.

3. Knitnana says:

Your photos say it all, now, don’t they?
    I’m registered. And I vote.

I also read Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaiden’s Tale in the 70s. It’s still the scariest novel I’ve ever read…and with Palin? VERY possible.
    (((hugs)))

4. Katie says:

That is so scary. People disagree on issues, sure, but I really can’t wrap my head around being accused of being unpatriotic because your support a Democrat. Does that mean half (or hopefully more!) of America is unpatriotic? I am really intrigued about how this presidential race seems to be making a lot of people really reexamine their values and beliefs, and then take a good look the candidates to see who they want to support. But obviously, this is not happening for everyone. I guess some people will never get past their one-dimensional partisan judgments and think about what is really best for this country.

5. Wendy says:

Nicely done!

And remember, we all must vote. We must overwhelm them with numbers because we know THEY CHEAT.

6. Maggie says:

Darn it, you should know better – you don’t go to university with an open mind and opinions. You bad thing.

Sorry, you don’t know me – I came over from your old knitting journal and couldn’t resist.

7. Maggie says:

The first part of the previous comment was supposed to be indacted as sarcasm – it got removed.