Loksins larger

The Loksin is a wonderful sock. Easily memorized charts, gorgeous lacy goodness running up the ankles and when knit up in a gorgeous semi solid sock yarn like Dream In Color’s Smooshy, the lace and cably bits really pop.

I was thinking about this today, as I was waiting at the optometrist’s office and knitting around and around. People who design socks, there’s something genius about them. How do they do it? Look at stitch dictionaries and put together random patterns until something clicks? How do they calculate heels and toes and how do they come up with all those little touches that people like Cookie A and Eunny Jang include in their patterns, ribbing that melts into cables, twisted stitches, motifs that flow into structure. I am amazed at what designers put together out of a few simple, random elements. I don’t think I could do it half so well.

It occurred to me that if the end of the world came, and my computer stopped working, I’d be SOL because most of my patterns are stored in the laptop, not on paper. Which sort of defeats the idea of my huge sock yarn stash, which I have justified to myself by saying, “Well, when the world ends, I can make us all socks while we’re surviving on tinned anchovies and beans.”

I may have to design a sock, to justify the stash. Either that or buy a printer before the world comes to a screeching halt.

Overdue?
The optometrist was a raging success, by the way. They’re great frames. #2 Daughter insists that wearing glasses makes her “defective” and thinks we ought to just have her made into Soylent Green. I think she just needs to wait until all the boys get a load of her and she’ll realize that ain’t nothing defective about a girl in glasses at all.

10 Responses to

1. Martha says:

Right on, Rainy! She looks absolutely stunning in those. They won’t know what hit them.

2. Phoe says:

Maybe get her to watch Gentleman Prefer Blondes? Marilyn looks better in glasses, I think.

Also, are you still wanting that Wollmeise? I’m looking to get rid of it at any rate so please let me know.

3. eightfoldrabbit says:

Phoe, I totally do, I sent you an email, did it not arrive?

Thanks, Martha! πŸ™‚

4. Katie says:

Congrats on the new blog! I hope you like WordPress.

Your Loksins looks beautiful. I have some Smooshy in my stash…always looking for more ideas πŸ™‚

5. Beth says:

I’ve been wondering the same thing – I have a couple of sock pattern ideas, but then I get hung up on the heels and toes and what to do. But I think the real solution for the End of the World problem is to memorize a basic sock pattern. Not that I’ve managed to do that yet, either.

6. eightfoldrabbit says:

Beth, I have a basic st st pattern that I like – well, one for toe up and one for top down. Sort of based off the Universal Sock Pattern but then adapted for my feet.

I just want to know how they look at a skein of yarn and a stitch dictionary and come up with some of this stuff. Like Cookie A? She MUST have a socky muse sitting on her shoulder.

7. Marion says:

I worried about losing my patterns and my many, many photos until I bought an online backup for my computer. It backs up everything automatically, so if my computer crashes my data and photos will still be available to me. I think it is worth the $50/year. (I lost my family tree back to the 1500’s twice!)

I also print off the patterns I think I’m about to use and put them in a notebook. Then I don’t have so much to rummage through when I look for a pattern to start.

8. Phoe says:

Hrm, no I didn’t get an email. I’ll contact you on Ravelry if that’s alright. πŸ™‚

9. Krista says:

Those glasses look great on her! And, believe me, there are LOTS of guys who think girls in glasses are hot.

10. Knitnana says:

Like the new digs, the glasses are swell, and wow pretty pretty knitting…
    (((hugs)))