I’m really irritated. *grumble*

I bought a bunch of yarn from a vendor last month and I know the money was transferred because it is no longer in my account. It’s now way past the “7-10 days for us to dye it for you + the outside longest shipping time possible” mark and no yarn. The email I sent hasn’t been replied to. I tried going off the email address given by Paypal for this artist, and that bounced. Which, after looking, it appears that Paypal has added an extra letter into the domain to which this email was sent, so I’ve resent my polite inquiry and have my fingers crossed about getting a reply.

I know as far as I’m concerned, if an artist has a delay? No big deal. I’ll wait. Just *tell* me you’ve having issues. For example, I made a big order from another artist a few months ago, she had some issues with a supplier and immediately let me know that it was going to be longer than originally specified. And has continued to let me know what the status was with the items in question. Awesome. That’s customer service there. I will be a customer of hers for as long as she cares to make yarn. It doesn’t take much to create an intensely loyal customer, especially with knitters.

There are so many awesome artists out there who provide great customer service to go along with their fantastic products, that it’s a huge glaring annoyance when one doesn’t. I’m sure that it’s just “paypal messed up” or “life happens” or something like that, but communication would have been ideal before I had to ask.

And I still am not sure how to proceed with getting to the bottom of my missing yarn order if my resent email skips again.

7 Responses to

1. if time exists says:

I haven’t had to deal with this exact situation, but is there some way Paypal can investigate the matter for you, if you can’t get ahold of the seller? Seems like they would protect your money up to a certain amount in this event, or something like that. Then, at least, you won’t be out the money.

And I agree, simple communication works wonders.

2. Ina says:

Argh. I’d try a phone call to the vendor and a complaint to PayPal (see the Resolution Center). Good luck!

3. Tempted Handpainted Yarns says:

Just thought I would check in and say HELLO..
    Sorry you are having issues.
    To completely change the subject, have you worked on any of the roving, I get so excited to see what other people do more so with roving cause its always so different.
    Hope everything else is going well.
    Stacy (Tempted)

4. geogrrl says:

Yup, complain to Paypal, and also try to track down a means of communicating with the vendor directly.

If I still didn’t get any satisfaction, I would tell them (and mean it) that their name, and their treatment of you, will be going up in public places such as ravelry and Lime and Violet’s message board of Dooom. Seein as L&V often make the rest of us aware of the indie dyers, I think that would be effective. Besides, I’m sure L&V don’t want to send listeners to someone who treats customers that way.

5. Will Pillage For Yarn says:

Hi Stacy! I haven’t had a chance to do up any more of the rovings – I’m doing a spinning class next week and want to ask the instructor about doing good sock yarn. Am kind of saving the rest of my Bordello roving for that. I want Bordello socks! The 4 oz I did spin up is maybe a DK/light worsted weight and not tightly plied enough for socks. I’m not too worried about my vendor issues anymore, I heard back from them, it was just human error and bad communication, but it’s sorted out now, so that’s happy.

6. Will Pillage For Yarn says:

Geo,
    I’d feel reluctant to post a name either in a public forum like L&V or on my blog, unless it was just obviously malicious or some one ripping me off. And in this case, that was very not the case. I got a very nice email from teh vendor today. She just didn’t communicate about a delay on her end and there was a mistake in her contact info so she never got my queries. If it hadn’t been such a lot of money, I probably would not have thought twice about the delay, really. If it hadn’t been handled, I would have followed up on Paypal and tried to get hte money back.

7. geogrrl says:

Agreed. I wouldn’t do it either unless I got NO satisfaction/communication or was pretty sure the person was ripping me off. It’s not a step I’d take lightly. I’d inform the vendor first that I was planning to do it, then see if it lights a fire under them. If I still get no action, then I’d do it. I’d want to make sure they didn’t do it to someone else.

However, they did contact you, so all’s well and all that. Glad it worked out.