1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? – My favorite yarns to knit with are Socks that Rock, Tofutsies, Koigu, merino, bamboo and other regrettably luxe fibers. I hate acrylics.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? – I have a fab needle case that a friend of mine made, it’s fantastic. I have a pitcher for my long straights, so it is sort of storage decor.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? – I have been knitting since sometime between 2003/2004. I started my knit blog in late 2004, but I think I was knitting for a while before that. I taught myself using tutorials on the internet and books. I would consider myself to be an intermediate knitter overall, with some skillsets that are advanced and other areas that I am still a rank beginner. I have a lot left to learn about this craft! That’s one of the things I love about it.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? – I do! You can look it up using my email address or my name. 😀
5. What’s your favorite scent? – It really depends on the context. I love warm vanilla sugar body lotion. I like food scents for lotions and soaps. I’m not overly fond of floral sweet scents, though I like lavender a lot. For the most part, as far as perfumes go, “subtle” is my thing. I like a few BPAL scents, Tamora is the one I wear on special occasions, and I *love* Demeter’s Sugar Cookie spritz layered over warm vanilla sugar on a daily basis.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? – I have a terrible sweet tooth. I love chocolate. I’m allergic to nuts so mostly I just like plain old chocolate, though I am rather fond of Dagoba Roseberry or Lavender bars.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? – I spin, I like papercrafts like origami and collage, I embroider and I do henna art. I’m also a ceramics artist when I can find the time.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) – Goth, industrial, middle eastern, Indian, modern, I have very eclectic musical tastes. I love this Pandora station created by a DJ friend of mine.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand? – I am all over the map as far as color goes. I seem to gravitate toward deep rich jewel tones in hues of lapis, tanzanite and emerald/malachite or rose colorways when it comes to sock yarns. I wear a lot of black, except when I’m not wearing black, and then it goes towards greens and some pink or purple. My Goth sensibilities have definitely influenced my wardrobe, though I do not particularly try to dress “goth” at all these days, it’s just whatever I feel like wearing. Age and motherhood have slammed the lid on the coffin of fabulous lacy or leather outfits.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? – Two cats, two kittens, one dog and two teenage daughters who I am single parenting.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? — Scarves, yes. Hats, no. Mitts/fingerless gloves, yes, mittens no. Ponchos, no.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? — Socks. Absolutely hands down, I love to knit socks more than anything. Lace is a close second.
13. What are you knitting right now? — I’ve got Pomotamus and Charade on the needles right now, as well as Brooke’s Column of Leaves and Clapotis.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes, I love to!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I really prefer bamboo needles, or birch. I am not a fan of the uber expensive rosewood dpns that are available, I snap them too easily in the smaller sizes.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No, but I found a DIY build your own swift online and am working on that.
17. How old is your oldest UFO? Um… a year and a half?
18. What is your favorite holiday? I adore Dia De Los Muertos and I love Thanksgiving because of good family memories
19. Is there anything that you collect? Dia De Los Muertos skullies. Otherwise I’ve kidn of stopped collecting, since I am going for a more minimalist approach to “stuff” in general.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Books and mags: I subscribe to IK, I’d like to get my hands on the Deb Menz Color In SPinning book and No Sheep For You by Amy Singer, but otherwise I’m pretty good with my book collection.
Yarn: I’m dying to try some Yarntini. I really like her Appletini colorway. I’m also really wanting to try Fleece Artist sock yarn or the sea silk. But these are very expensive and I am eventually going to find them, I am sure.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? I’m interested in tackling Fair Isle. I’m still also thinking I’d like to knit a sweater, but waffling about it.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? – I wear a size 9.
23. When is your birthday? Dec. 30
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what’s your ID? Yes! I’m rainwood on Ravelry.