Rest in peace, Oakland Grandma

January is fired. Have I mentioned that? I mean, security has been called and will be escorting it from the building at any time now. If I don’t wake up tomorrow and discover February, there will be hell to pay.

Because to cap the month in which my husband of 10 years moved out of our home, my car died to the tune of $2700 (it went back into the shop today, as a matter of fact for being yet again ded), and numerous other sorrows and annoyances too small to record here?

My grandmother died last night.

She was my first friend, She was my very best friend ever. There aren’t words to describe how much she meant to me or how much I will miss her.

She died in the nursing home while eating a bowl of ice cream with her friends and the resident cat. She was 97 and was loved and cherished by everyone who knew her, her whole life. She had a great marriage to the love of her life, one that saw 65 years, she sent two sons to war and both came back alive, she had a daughter who made her proud and happy, she had 8 grandkids, 6 great grandkids and numerous pets and good friends over the years. She was a gracious lady till the end and had a sharp sense of humor, even when the details got fuzzy.

If you think about it, basically, G-d gave her 97 great years AND an ice cream sundae.

She was the source of unconditional love in my life no matter what. I’m really glad she got some ice cream on the way out. It was kind and merciful and a fitting coda to a life well lived.

grandma

10 Responses to Rest in peace, Oakland Grandma

1. rincaro says:

Yep. January is definitely fired. I’m so sorry for your loss.

2. Vanessa says:

It sounds like your grandmother had a wonderful life full of family. You were blessed to have her for so long. Remember the good times!
    Hugs 🙂

*hugs* I’m sorry for your loss.

4. Inky says:

january is officially a dirty word! and grandma rocked a great life and what a way to go eatin’ ice cream!!

hugs, my friend.

5. Moze says:

I’m sorry for your loss–for all of January’s losses. But man, that’s how I want to go when it’s my time!

6. Lucia says:

I am so sorry for your loss, and so sorry I missed this post for a while. Yet another cool lady I didn’t get to meet, but I’m privileged to have glimpsed her through your blog.

7. Roxie says:

I’m so sorry for you. January has been SUCH a hard month! Hang in, dear. It gets better.

8. sopranospinner says:

So sorry for your loss! And what a hard month you are having. Sending good vibes your way for Februrary!

9. Cambria says:

I’m so very sorry. She sounds like a wonderful woman and the poster woman for what a “lady” should be. I had a January very very similar to yours about 4 years ago. Still trying to recover but good friends and knitting helped alot. Love ya!

10. Tammy says:

January has been a very hard month for many this year. I for one an very glad it is gone now!!

I am grieving with you. I lost my grandma in October and it is still painful. I miss her lots. It really sounds like you had a very special grandma. You have wonderful memories of her.