separation

So the reason that I am knitting from my stash and also probably buying nothing that is nonessential starting in February and ending in May (I blame Crazy Aunt Purl for adding this one to the list of whackeh money management ideas) is that there are some very huge life changes going on Chez YP.

Most notably, Mr. YP is moving out in a couple of weeks and we are going to be separating for the forseeable future and not a couple anymore though certainly nobody is any hurry to file for divorce. It’s quite amicable and nobody is the bad guy. It was a mutual decision to end 10 years of marriage and 11 years of partnership and try to learn how to be partners in a brand new, not married way. For all of that fabulous cooperation and mutual goodwill, it stinks. So that’s the way it is. I’m doing my best. Bring me that horizon.

And really bad eggs.

10 Responses to separation

1. Lucia says:

This is so tough. Hang in there. Rant at us whenever you need to. I’ll be thinking about you.

*hugs* hang in there! We’re all with you!

3. Geogrrl says:

Oh, you poor thing! I wish I could give you an actual hug, but I hope a virtual one will do.

No matter how you slice it, major changes like this suck big time. And there will be more crying and dark days. But slowly the darkness recedes and you start realizing you’re having more good than bad moments. It’s a process.

As you say, you’re grieving. Fine, it’s a mutual amicable split, but still, the two of you spent 11 years together and there’s a lot of history there. It takes time to disengage emotionally. Perfectly normal–not that that makes it suck any less.

4. Mei says:

I’m so sorry. I’ll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

5. LizKnits says:

hang in there! Let us know when we can help out too.

6. Doozers Knit says:

Also, remember that it’s ok to let your kids know that you’re grieving, too. As much as you’re trying to make it ok for them, they might feel better if they know that you’re at least sad about it.

7. Will Pillage For Yarn says:

thanks, guys. I appreciate it v. much.

8. Roxie says:

Bless your dear heart. B vitamins are good for your nerves, exercise produces coping endorphins, and hot baths are a great place to cry. (I usually cry in the shower till all the hot water runs away. It’s much more comfy to cry in the bath.)

9. Jess says:

Eeek! I’m so sorry, but am:
    – confident that you know what’s best for you
    – proud of you for doing it (so many people just stick around and get slowly bitter in this situation)
    – certain that you’ll pull through
    (great big hugs)

10. Liz says:

Yow. Sucks donkey butt, for sure.

Curiously, it may take longer than you think to get used to the “single” idea – at least it is for me.

Hang in there. Drink wine. Knit many simple projects.