Is it dead, Jim?

The laptop, it appears to be fried. While I have access via the husband’s computer, that goes back to work on Monday… gee I hope we can get the laptop fixed or I might go into withdrawal.

Saw Harry Potter today… Daniel My-How-You’ve-Grown Radcliffe did a great job and those Weasely twins are a bit of all right now, aren’t they? It’s wrong of me to leer at all that tasty eye candy. I know. I can’t help it. No spoilers, but a few things I liked… you get a lot more tiny glimpses into supporting characters as people, such as Mr. Filch (charming bit), Snape, new facets of Dumbledore… a lot of the characters who make up the scenery around Hogwarts really came more alive for me in this one. The kids are amazing young actors, they did a really nice job. The Quidditch World Cup is… breathtaking. Amazing. This film made me cry in a way the others didn’t, everything was very real and the darkness was real – not all fun and games anymore. DEATH IS ON THE LINE! /Vincini> and good people are lost to the darkness. The characterization of Harry as a reluctant hero is even stronger this time around. I think the director did a brilliant job of using as much as he could to keep the film moving but without dragging it down. Huge swaths of the book did get cut, however, it worked for me. I give it two knitting needles way up. Brilliantly done. Can’t wait for more.

So while I wait for my laptop to be unfried, I am patiently knitting away on repeat #1 of Sivia’s DF Shawl. The laceweight from handpainted yarns dot com is awesome. It really blooms up when you get it on the needle, you get a little halo and the very dappled subtle color shifts are stunning. Pics to come.

6 Responses to Is it dead, Jim?

1. Siel says:

Hmmm… Well, if the laptop’s unfryable, there’s always the Robertson branch of the LA library — Free internet access 🙂 Some of the mice are finicky though, so choose your computer wisely —

2. Z says:

I liked the movie too…that bathtub scene probably titillated a number of budding young ladies! 🙂 I also noted how they are showing Harry more alone and less of a group (Harry, Ron and Herminone). His is a solitary mission in life…he has to battle Voldemort alone.

3. Will Pillage For Yarn says:

yes, I like the evolution of Harry Standing Alone too. In the end, that’s really how it works. We all stand alone against that which seeks to destroy us.

Maybe it is why Harry is so universally easy to relate to.

4. Jill says:

I’m so relieved to read that I’m not the only woman over 30 who noticed the twins! 😉
    Mike Newell put my concerns of his directing to rest on Friday night – the images on screen mirrored those in my mind while reading the book.
    I’ve seen the movie twice – and each time, the scene that brings tears streaming down my face is that of Hermoine descending the stairs.

5. Jill says:

Oooops, I just took a look at your photo – and I might need to apologize for thinking I read you were 30something!

6. Will Pillage For Yarn says: